Thursday, October 18, 2007

Luke. Evangelist.

(Honestly, I thought this was George Washington at first glance.)

Beloved:
Demas, enamored of the present world,
deserted me and went to Thessalonica,
Crescens to
Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia.
Luke is the only one with me.
Get Mark and bring him with you,
for he is helpful to me in the ministry.
I have sent Tychicus to
Ephesus.
When you come, bring the cloak I left with Carpus in
Troas,
the papyrus rolls, and especially the parchments.

Alexander the coppersmith did me a great deal of harm;
the Lord will repay him according to his deeds.
You too be on guard against him,
for he has strongly resisted our preaching.

At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf,
but everyone deserted me.
May it not be held against them!
But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength,
so that through me the proclamation might be completed
and all the Gentiles might hear it. --
2 Tm 4:10-17b

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely post..

11:25 AM  
Blogger Anita Moore said...

One of the interesting things about St. Luke is that, though a physician, he appears to have been a veritable battle ground of diseases. According to the Patron Saints Index, a study of his relics revealed that he suffered from "acute, diffused osteoporosis, grave arthrosis of the spinal cord, especially in the lumbar region, and pulmonary emphysema, evidenced in the curvature of the ribs." In short he must have suffered a lot, making him an obvious patron of those with chronic diseases.

2:39 PM  
Blogger gemoftheocean said...

Jeez, even before I saw your comment about it looking like Washington, that's the first thing I thought too.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home