Monday, September 18, 2006

America's Prayer

Earlier today I visited a parishioner who has had several poor-health setbacks for the past four months. He seems to be on the mend, and his--and his doctor's--hopes are high for an excellent recovery after six surgeries. He has been gifted with an outstanding musical ability, and has promised to help me with the Ite, Misa Est and the triple Alleluia for Easter.

He has been singing with barbershop quartets for a number of years. Today he offered me a fine tenor's rendition of God Bless America; he called it "America's Prayer." I have heard him sing before, but today's song was particularly moving. I am certain that his voice was heard down the hall at the health care facility. This gave me an opportunity to reflect on the words. Our nation is in great need of God's help.

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land thats free.
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer:

God bless America, land that I love,
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam,
God bless America,
My home sweet home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home